One of My Early Christmases

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year.

I don’t remember too many Christmases in our little house, but I do remember that Dad always went to the field and cut a fresh cedar tree to be decorated.  Oh how I loved, and still do, the smell of a cedar tree – it just smells like Christmas. Dad would string the lights and Mom would decorate the tree; it was always beautiful to me.   One year, Santa brought Cheryl and me Connie Lynn dolls. These dolls had human hair and were made of hard plastic. My grandmother made clothes for them.   When I was about three years old, Santa brought me a Marlins electric train.  The engine light would come on and smoke would rise from the smoke stack as the train moved along the tracks.  I spent many hours playing with that train.  After Mom’s death, my sister found the engine to my train and gave it to me for Christmas once again.

Also, at Christmastime, my favorite song was “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” My mom often told me that when the song asked, “Rudolph with your nose so bright, won’t you guide my sleigh tonight,” that I always answered, “eayah.”  I tell ya, I really miss those Christmases.

When we were small, the entire family would meet Grandma and Grandpa Thomasson’s house on Christmas Eve, except for Uncle Ernest (he and his family lived in Massachusetts).  My older cousins (Gary, Gene, Dennis, Larry and Jimmie) would bring fireworks which consisted mainly of firecrackers and they shoot them off in front of the house while we little ones watched.  Each family brought food and all the Moms would help finish getting the meal ready and serve it.  The kids and men would eat first and then the Moms would eat.  Once we kids were finished eating, we would start whining because we wanted to open presents.  But, the Moms would finish their meal, then wash the dishes and clean the kitchen before they would let us do that. I think they delayed letting us open presents just for meanness. They always threatened to not let us open presents at all if we didn’t stop pestering them.  Yeh, like that was gonna happen, but their point was made and we left them alone.

Finally, we would get to open presents and Uncle Chapel would film the whole process of everyone opening their gifts.  This was back in the 1950s so the camera had the big lights on it and everyone was blinded by them.  Grandpa gave all us kids a 50 cent piece for Christmas and we all would give him a great big hug because that made us rich!  Grandpa’s birthday was on December 24th and I always felt like he was cheated out of his birthday/Christmas gifts that way.  Speaking of Uncle Chapel, he was always clowning around and making everyone laugh, as you can see in the picture.

Once we left their house, we would go to Mawdie’s and open presents there.  She gave me soft flannel pajamas every year which I looked forward to getting.  On Christmas Day, we would go to Aunt Rose’s house and have Christmas dinner.  Now, Christmas at Rose’s house is a whole nother story!!

See ya next Wednesday.