Getting My Tonsils Removed

Do you still have your tonsils?  Today, I’m going to tell you about the time I had my tonsils removed.  Boy, was that fun!

While I was growing up, I was sick all the time with sore throats and I tell ya, they were not fun.  I missed a lot of school every winter because I was constantly sick with a sore throat.  The doctors kept telling my parents that I needed to have my tonsils taken out, but they didn’t want to jump the gun and have them taken out when I might outgrow getting sore throats all the time.

When I was in eighth grade, I was still plagued with sore throats.  I made plans to spend the night with one of my friends who lived on a farm and her dad and brothers just happened to be killing hogs that same day.  The day arrived and you guessed it, I had a little bit of sore throat.  But, I begged my mom to let me go to my friend’s house anyway.  She told me to stay in the house once we got to her house after school.  Did I listen?  Of course not.

After school, my friend asked if I wanted to go watch her dad and brothers, and of course I said yes, conveniently forgetting what my mom had said.  We stayed out there in the cold for quite a while and I was freezing by the time we got back inside the house.  And by now, my throat was really hurting.

We sat down at the supper table, and I could barely swallow my food.  Eating was so painful because whatever I ate, scratched my throat as it went down.  I excused myself from the table and went to the bathroom and cried.  I wanted to go home so badly even though I knew my mom would be mad at me.  My friend’s mom offered to take me home but I decided I would tough it out and go on to school the next day.

As I tried to sleep that night, I dreamed I was driving a car and I kept coming to this curve that I couldn’t get around.  It was actually me trying to swallow; my throat was almost swelled shut.  Early the next morning, I was so miserable and openly crying and they called my mom.  She came and got me and I went immediately to the doctor’s office.  He told my mom that we couldn’t wait any longer to take my tonsils out so they set a date for the operation.

The day arrived and I was dreading it because I knew that I would be given a gazillion shots.  And, I think my mom broke every speeding limit when she took me to the doctor’s office.  Now, what was unique about this was that the doctor was taking my tonsils out in the clinic and was only going to give me local anesthesia.  That’s right; I was going to be awake the whole time.

So, they got me in the chair and numbed my throat and started the process. It didn’t hurt at all but I could hear them cutting those puppies out.  It didn’t take very long but I had to stay the night at the clinic.  Just a little note here that this was the same clinic in which my little sister was born.

That night, I went to bed and slept really well although my throat was a little sore from the surgery.  The next day my Grandpa Thomasson came to take me home and I think he drove as slow as he could and hit every hole and rut in the road.  I was feeling pretty rough by the time I got home.

But, since that day, I have been free of sore throats and I can tell ya, it’s great.

See ya next Wednesday.